Wat Sothon Wararam
Wat Sothon Wararam
Wat Sothon Wararam was built in the late Ayutthaya Period during the reign of King Narai the Great, with its original name being Wat Hong. The temple houses Phra Phutthasothon, a much-revered Buddha image of Chachoengsao created by a craftsman from Lanchang. The image sits in the meditation position and is 1.65 meters in width and 1.48 meters in height.
Legend has it that three Buddha images were floating down a river. The first image was found on the Mae Klong River, placed at Wat Phet Samut and named Luangpho Ban Laem. The second image, Luangpho Sothon, was placed at Wat Hong or currently known as Wat Sothon Wararam. The last image, Luangpho To, was placed at Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai or also called Wat Phlapphla Chai Chana Songkhram.
Followers of Luangpho Sothon believe that worshiping Luangpho Sothorn will bring prosperity to their lives. Women who have difficulty having a baby visit hoping Luangpho Sothon will give them a chance to have a son. Offerings made to Luangpho Sothon include boiled eggs (the main offering), Menora performances (Lakhon Chatri), fruits and flower garlands. Buddha preached many sermons about success, in particular that of overcoming suffering, defeating greed, and achieving peace of mind.
Besides Luangpho Sothon. the Ubosot (ordination hall) of the temple houses magnificent hand-painted murals on the walls, pillars, floor and ceiling which depict a story of the Sithandon Ocean, the world of the Four Great Kings, Tarsatimsa’s heaven. Brahma’s world, cosmology and the universe. Star constellations appearing on the ceiling represent the fifth of September 1996 at the time when King Rama IX conducted the royal golden parasol lifting ceremony.
How to get there
Wat Sothon Wararam is located on Thep Khunakon Road, Na Mueang Sub-district, Chachoengsao District, Chachoengsao. Take Highway 304 heading to Chachoengsao and follow Signs for the temple. For further details, please contact Tel. 0 3851 1449.