Wat Phra Sing
Wat Phra Sing
Wat Phra Sing was built in 1345 during the reign of Phraya Pha Yu. the Chiang Mai King of the Mangrai Royal Family. He initially ordered the construction of a 46-metre tall Chedi to house the royal ashes of his father, Phraya Kham Fu. Later a monastery, Sala Kan Parian or the open hall for the lay people. and Ho Trai were built. The temple was first named Wat Li Chiang Phra. Later, King Saen Mueang Ma moved the Phra Phuttha Sihing image from Chiang Rai. When the elephant procession was passing the front of the temple, the elephants refused to move any further. That was why Phra Phuttha Sihing was enshrined at this temple. The name of this temple “Wat Phra Sing” came from the popular word used amongst the Northern people of the shortened form of the name of the Buddha image “Phra Sing”.
Wat Phra Sing underwent extensive restorations until 1924 when the final restoration was carried out by Chao Kaeo Nawarat, the last monarchic ruler of Chiang Mai city, and the famous monk Khruba Siwichai and Chiang Mai Buddhists.
According to Lanna belief, those who were born in the Year of the Dragon should come to worship Phra Phuttha Sihing once in their lifetime. Other people who were not born in the Year of the Dragon will have a successful life as well it they worship the image. However, a good Buddhist should know that the success and prosperity in life will become real only when one is a good person that observes the Buddhist precepts and the teachings.
The Ubosot is in the Lanna style. The building is rectangular in shape and contains two halls at the front and the back. Ho Trai or Tripitaka Tower is a two-storey brick building. The top floor consists of woodwork including a wood and tiled roof. The edge of the roof is adorned with a terracotta swan. In the middle of the roof is a metal tiered-umbrella. The roof is also decorated with ornamental roof points shaped like the great snake Naga. The wood walls of the building are decorated with a traditional checker design. The walls of the ground floor are decorated with 16 sculptured angels. Wihan Lai Kham houses the Phra Phuttha Sihing image and is a prime example of Lanna architecture. This Wihan was built approximately in the 16th -18th Century.
How to get there
Wat Phra Sing is located on Sam Lan Road, Phra Sing Sub-district, Mueang District, Chiang Mai. You can take a red taxi or Song Thaeo which can be found any where in Chiang Mai city to go directly to the temple.